As someone with a lot of allergies, finding those few key foods with lots of health benefits are important. In one of my previous posts, Avocado & Egg: My Superfoods I talked a little about avocado, mango, and egg. For this first true recipe post I wanted to feature another major source of protein, chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans).
This is one of my quick recipes that makes a perfect to-go lunch or picnic/hiking meal. I always make it in a large mason jar and try to make it a few hours ahead of time (or even the night before) to let the chickpeas soak in the oil a little and marinate.
Mason Jar Chickpea Salad
Makes: 1 (32 oz) large mason jar
1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas
1 small red onion (I prefer sweet onion, feel free to try different ones)
1 medium tomato
1 small jar of olives (I prefer to use Kalamata, about a handful)
1 handful of fresh parsley
1 tbsp capers
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
1. Drain liquid from can of chickpeas, wash beans thoroughly and add to mason jar
2. Cut up onion and tomato
3. Make sure all olives have pits removed, and cut in half if desired depending on size
4. Rinse parsley, chop up
5. Add onion, tomato, olives, parsley, and capers to mason jar
6. Drizzle oil and balsamic vinaigrette over mixture, screw lid onto mason jar and lightly toss everything together.
7. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat (I usually let mine sit at least a few hours to let chickpeas marinate in oil)
Hope you all enjoy this recipe, and let me know about ways you find to mix up this salad; there are a lot of things you could add or omit, so get creative!
-Moss & Mango